Due to a considerable increase in business we are recruiting for a Financial Accountant with immediate effect.
- The successful candidate will be responsible to the Principal Financial Accountant for the management of the day to day operation of the Financial Control Section, including income control and cashier services.
- Process the monthly SAP close down routine.
- Advise on investment and borrowing opportunities within recommended best practice contained in the “Code for Treasury Management in Local Authorities”, “The London Code of Conduct” and CIPFA “Statements of Recommended Practice”.
- Be responsible to the Principal Financial Accountant for the preparation of the abstract of accounts and the Whole of Government Accounts.
- Identify projects within financial control for development.
- Assist senior management in the identification of financial projects and to project manage these, for example, the automation of bank reconciliations, best value projects.
- Assist the Principal Financial Accountant with the administration and development of the SAP system and other corporate systems in liaison with the Systems Accounting Officer.
- Be responsible to the Principal Financial Accountant for the treasury management activities of the council.
- Administer the gas pension and income tax accounts.
- Prepare the loans fund accounts.
- Liaise with the Principal Financial Accountant and make recommendations with regard to financing of capital schemes.
- You must be a fully qualified accountant and a full current member of a relevant professional body, for example, Associate Chartered Accountants (ACA);
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA);
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA);
- Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (CIPFA) or equivalent;
- You must also be able to demonstrate by providing personal and specific examples, of at least two year’s experience in each of the following areas:
- Preparing financial accounts and supporting documentation;
- Using core financial systems to assist in the production of financial information.
Special skills and attributes:
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate evidence of each of the following special skills and attributes:
- Written communication skills
- Excellent written presentation and communication skills with the ability to produce evidenced based reports and persuade and influence people.
- Oral communication and listening skills Ability to display effective and highly developed oral communication skills in both formal and informal settings with the ability to influence and persuade others on complex issues.
- Excellent Information Technology skills Ability to operate specialist software packages and understand how computer programmes and new technology generally can increase business efficiency. Exceptional analysis and decision making skills