Marketing and Communications officer required for the Newry and Mourne area. This is a full time/ temporary role at an hourly rate of £13.99.
The successful candidate will contribute as an integral member of the Communications and Marketing Section, as well as across departments and services, to develop and deliver effective and innovative external and internal Communications and Marketing strategies which supports the vision, values and strategic direction; and supports the Corporate, Directorate and Service business plans. To plan, manage and evaluate targeted Communications and Marketing campaigns to increase awareness and promote a positive image of all the company priorities, policies, services and events in the local, regional, national, professional and trade media.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To contribute to the provision of a Communications and Marketing service across the Council to ensure the delivery against agreed corporate and service-specific Communications and Marketing objectives and targets, and continuously develop and deliver consistent and co-ordinated Communications and Marketing service improvements.
- To contribute to the development and implementation of emergency communications plans to provide accurate, timely and consistent information and advice to staff, elected members, service users, citizens, the general public, partner organisations and the media in a Major Incident or business disruption.
- To contribute as required to the preparation of financial estimates and business plans for the Communications and Marketing Section and to assist with the management and control of the Communications and Marketing budget ensuring services are delivered within allocated budgets.
- To direct and signpost Managers and Officers to the appropriate source for issues outside the remit of this post. This may include carrying out duties for other posts within the Communications and Marketing Section.
- To assist as required to the preparation of effective risk management and business continuity plans and procedures for the Communications and Marketing Section.
- To keep under review new developments in all fields relevant to the postholders responsibilities and to make recommendations to Senior Officers as appropriate.
- To assist in the creation, development and implementation of an effective Communications Strategy (covering both internal and external communications) and continually develop it through review.
- To support Managers and Officers with the development and implementation of Communications and Marketing strategies to include the management of campaign branding, advertising, website and social media presence, press releases, PR and photo-opportunities, publications and media relations.
- To develop effective, pro-active PR plans for all Council departments to ensure frequent, timely and positive media coverage.
- To build and maintain effective, close-working relationships with local, regional and national media.
- To ensure the provision of a day to day press office service; assisting with media issues, dealing confidently with controversial and sensitive issues.
- To provide out of hours PR/Media service in the evenings and at weekend on a rota basis, if required.
- To promote the digital communications channels to improve residents, visitors and businesses’ access to services and information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- To assist with the implementation of the Council’s digital communications strategy.
- A degree level qualification in a relevant discipline ie Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism, Digital or Visual Communications
- At least two year’s practical experience working in a communications role within a corporate environment with responsibility for:
- Brand Management
- Managing the production of quality materials for print and online channels
- Developing and implementing integrated communications and marketing campaigns
- Managing media relations • Developing and managing at least one online platform
- Working closely with external suppliers (eg graphic design agencies, advertising agencies etc)
- Delivering projects on time and within budget.
- In lieu of qualification have at least 4 years’ practical experience as detailed above.
- Competent in the use of Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Publisher and email.
- Competent in the use of digital platforms including a website for corporate communications.
- Be available to travel and attend evening and other meetings outside of office hours as required.
- Hold a full valid driving licence and have access to transport
For more information on this role. please call us on 02890234324.