We have been commissioned by our prestigious Client to source an Environmental Health Officer; the successful candidate will provide an efficient, effective, economical and equitable Environmental Health Service to fulfil our Client’s statutory duties regarding the enforcement and administration of Environmental Health and allied legislation.
- You will carry out the full range of enforcement, investigative, educational, promotional, consultative and advisory duties associated with the responsibilities of the Environmental Services Department in accordance with any departmental work programmes which exist as required by the Environmental Health Managers.
- Act in the absence of the Environmental Health Manager as necessary and to deputise as directed.
- Provide information and assistance to members of the public, elected representatives and various statutory and non-statutory bodies.
- Participate in partnerships at a local and regional level aimed at tackling health inequalities and improving health and well-being within the community.
- In conjunction with the EHM determine the most appropriate course of legal or non-statutory action in line with the enforcement policy and to make recommendations as necessary.
- Prepare and serve legal notices, present prosecution cases and attend Court/other hearings/public enquiries/appeals as required.
- Develop guidance and written procedures to achieve continuous improvement in the quality of service.
- Contribute to the delivery of the unit business plan, and assist in the preparation of reports and recommendations for presentation to Client.
- Prioritise daily work demands to ensure that all relevant agreed targets are achieved to ensure that a quality, customer focused environmental health service is delivered.
- Carry out duties outside normal working hours as are necessary for the satisfactory efficient delivery of the Environmental Health Service, in accordance with an agreed policy on Lone Working.
- Deal with hostile and confrontational situations, including the diffusion of the same on a professional basis using a range of communication skills.
- Undertake such training as required (including essential CPD training) in order to maintain up-to-date knowledge of professional, technical and legislative development across the range of Environmental Health disciplines as well as in relation to departmental and Client-wide policies and procedures.
- Participate in the training of existing staff, new staff, BSc (Environmental Health) degree students and other persons assigned for training or work experience.
- Ensure compliance with Client policies and procedures and operate within the highest standard of management and personal behaviour which reflect the core value and behaviour of the Client.
- Ensure the provision of high standards of customer care across all the services provided by the Service Unit and communicate in a way which enhances and promotes the public image and overall reputation of the Client.
- Promote equality of opportunity and access in service delivery and in the employment of staff through the mainstreaming of equality within the Client.
- It is essential that applicants have a minimum of:
- A third level qualification (for example, an HNC, HND, NVQ Level 4, Degree) or equivalent in Environmental Health.
- Graduate or voting membership of the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health.
- Applicants must hold the Environmental Health Officers Registration Board Certificate or equivalent.
- Six months’ relevant experience in a field directly related to Environmental Health.
- Ability to make effective use of I.T. systems and software packages.
- An awareness of political sensitivities and the ability to maintain an unbiased approach and a positive public relations image.
- It is essential that applicants hold a full (i.e. not provisional) and current UK driving licence and access to a car or * have access to a means of transport which would enable the applicant to carry out the duties of the post.*
- *Applies only to applicants who have a disability under the Disability Discrimination Act.
- One years’ relevant experience in a field directly related to Environmental Health.